J. Barrett

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Here and Honduras

This is a journal entry from when I was in Honduras:
People here are different than those in Ohio. They have dark hair and dark skin, they are always busy. They gossip, they shop. The television is always on. They know many life lessons, many anecdotes and proverbs, and the history they know is what they've seen in their lives, or the stories they've been told. The only music here is what emanates from the television or the nightclub down the block. There are no bookshelves, but many knick knacks.
There is a constant stream of conversation here. When you visit, you stay for a long time: weeks, or a month. The men sit around and the women attend to their needs before the men articulate them; the women resent it, I have to guess. I sense that many people live lives filled with inchoate resentment.
Here they don't drink. The flavors are different, and the food doesn't change very much, day to day. They don't have computers or the internet.
My way of reading and writing is a dull world of study to them. There is no frame of reference for pleasure writing or reading.
So much of myself is written in a code of words, thoughts on paper, that I don't know how I would exist without them. It's my surrogate life.
People don't express affection publicly. Sex isn't discussed, nor are feelings.
Children can choose whether or not to go to school after the first or second grade.
I wish I had a conclusion to this, but I'll write more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home